Spring 2023 Regional Meeting
Schedule of Events
Events at iHotel and Illinois Conference Center, Champaign, Illinois, except tours as noted Illinois Conference Center
April 3, 2023
- 6.00 p.m. — Dinner (NAE Members Only)
- 7:00 p.m. — Early Arrivals Social Mixer
April 4, 2023
- 7:45 a.m. — Breakfast (NAE Members Only)
- 8:15 a.m. — Campus Tour (NAE Members Only) (Meet at I-Hotel Lobby for shuttle service to campus)
- Tour #1: Institute for Genomic Biology, Tour #2: Electrical & Computer Engineering Building (zero-net tour), Tour #3: Newmark Civil Engineering Laboratory
- 9:40 a.m — NAE Members Business Meeting (NAE Members Only)
- 10:40 a.m. — Break
- 11:00 a.m - 12:30 p.m. — Public Symposium: The Mobility Electrification Revolution
- Keynote #1: Steps toward modern electric transport and the growing electronics revolution, a memorial to Nick Holonyak Jr., and commemoration of the 75th anniversary of the transistor.
- Keynote #2: National and global policy to enhance benefits and accelerate the revolution.
- 12:30 p.m. — Lunch Student poster session 1-1:30 p.m.
- 1:30 p.m - 3:10 p.m. — Presentations
- 1:30 p.m — The Future of Mobility and Electrification – I-ACT (I. Al-Qadi, ICT and Illinois)
- 1:55 p.m. — Reaching Toward Zero Emission Air Travel with Electrification (K. Haran, POETS and Illinois)
- 2:20 p.m. — The Electrified Mobility Innovation Engine – an innovation ecosystem for the U.S. mobility industry (G. Rizzoni, Ohio State)
2:45 p.m. — Electric Vehicles and Charging Infrastructure Systems: Adoption, Deployment, and Management Insights (E. Kontou, Illinois)
- 3:10 p.m. — Networking Student posters continue
- 3:40 p.m. — Presentations
- 3:40 p.m. — Resources and Materials from Extraction to Recirculation (P. Braun, Illinois)
- 4:05 p.m. — Cyber-security Issues in Electric Transportation (D. Nicol, Illinois).
4:30 p.m. — The Future of Ground Transportation is Electric (M. Eberhard, Tesla founder)
- 5:00 p.m. — Reception
- 6:00 p.m. — Dinner (NAE Members Only)
April 5, 2023
- 8:00 a.m. — Breakfast
- 8:45 a.m. — Industry-oriented session on mobility electrification
- 8:45 a.m. — Welcome and introduction (Al-Qadi, Haran)
- 9:00 a.m. — Panel (industry and policy leaders) (Invited participants from Raytheon, J.M. de Bedout, Rivian; Brunswick, P.Bailey; Magna Electronics, S. Kotagiri)
- 10:30 a.m. — Break
- 10:45 a.m. — Industry/Policy session (B. Hajek, NAE, session chair)
- 10:45 a.m. — Transformation of offroad solutions through electrification (J. Reid, NAE, Illinois)
- 11:00 a.m. — IDOT Preparation for Mobility Electrification (O. Osman, Illinois Secretary of Transportation)
- 11:30 a.m. — Public Discussion with government officials and industry.
- 12:00 p.m. — Lunch
- 1:00 p.m. — 2023 NAE Regional Meeting and Symposium Concludes
- 1:00 p.m. Optional tours of POETS research facilities.